Monday, January 17, 2011

POETIC inJUSTICE: "Soundly Awake"

I can feel them.
Those eyes.
Her eyes.
Piercing me.
Piercing me from behind as I walk through life accomplishing what she could not.
She's envious.
She's angry.
She deserves every waking hour of observation through my bedroom window.
I can tell when she's been around.
I wake in a cold, yet satisfying sweat breathing the same air as he, and sharing the same dreams.
In fact, it's all very satisfying.
It's satisfying carrying a victory on my shoulders.
I ride triumphantly through her world, and never miss a beat.
No one ever mourned her.
The thought makes me grin.
Each night before drifting into dreamland, I recollect.
I recollect her smell.
Her taste.
Her screams as they accelerated, only to decelerate with every thrash to her pretty little blond head.
No one suspects.
He doesn't even know.
But I know, and I'm okay.
I had to take her life away before she took mine.
Now, she stands at the foot of my bed at night...
weeping...
plotting...
haunting...
but I've never slept sounder.

No comments:

Post a Comment